Mission & Values
The San Francisco Jewish Film Festival promotes awareness, appreciation and pride in the diversity of the Jewish people. Festival programs are meant to create community and strengthen consciousness of Jewish identity, history and culture; provide a dynamic and inclusive forum for exploration of and dialogue about the Jewish experience; and encourage independent filmmakers working with Jewish themes.
In support of our mission, the SFJFF embraces the following values:
1. We are engaged in an ongoing exploration of what it means to be Jewish, and are dedicated to giving voice to as many answers as possible, as expressed through film.
2. We are a diverse and inclusive organization seeking to expand our audiences among affiliated and unaffiliated Jews, as well as those of other faiths and cultures.
3. We view the younger generation of Jews as integral to the exploration of our identities in a changing world. We enthusiastically pursue meaningful participation of young filmmakers and audiences in our Festival community.
4. We seek to foster a deeper awareness, through film, of the social, historical, political, and cultural dimensions of Israel
5. As an independent organization that prizes freedom of expression, we seek to provide an open, inclusive and respectful environment for a diversity of views in our programming, in the films we present, in our audience and in the dialogue we facilitate.
6. We serve communities locally, nationally and internationally.
7. We seek to build bridges to other ethnic and religious communities.
8. Our curatorial philosophy is to present images of Jews that serve as a counterpoint to the negative stereotypes often presented in mainstream media and entertainment.
9. We promote respect for the human rights and dignity of all people.